Using the materials that nature provides, craftsmen create various utensils, shaping each object to their domestic and agricultural needs. Combining mastery and ingenuity, with expertise and spirituality, each piece becomes a true work of art. In Baião, you can enjoy the art of the Gestaçô walking sticks, the wicker basketry in Frende, the [...]
The Chapel of Senhor do Bom Despacho integrates the architectural complex of the Monastery of Santo André de Ancede. The construction of this chapel is located in the first half of the 18th century, reflecting the architectural taste of the time, when adopting the octagonal plan and the Johannine style, typically baroque for the decoration of the interior in gilded carving and [...]
Casa do Lavrador is a rural and ethnographic museum that integrates the Cultural and Recreational Association of Santa Cruz do Douro. Built in honor of Mr. Augusto Gomes dos Santos, Honorary President of the Portuguese Folklore Federation, the House of the Labrador was inaugurated on June 26, 1999, by its Exa. the Lord […]
If the first sites of settlement occupied during the 5th millennium BC are still sparse remains, the settlements of the 2nd and 1st millenium already show an intense occupation of the territory, with distinct strategies, whose populations already worked the bronze and maintained contacts with regions more remote from the Iberian Peninsula, mirrored in some objects at [...]
Modest temple, of longitudinal plant, with a lower chancel and narrower than the body composed by a single nave. The construction of this church should date from the end of the thirteenth century, incorporating several marks of masonry, and reusing silhares of an earlier construction, to be evaluated by the inscription placed inverted on the north wall of the chancel [...]
Ancede’s church belonged to the Monastery Santo André de Ancede, that dates from the 12th century as proven by the first documented evidence dating from 1120.
Although not known the date of its foundation, it is known that in 1120 this Monastery belonged already to the Diocese of Porto, being connected to the Canons Regrantes of St. Augustine. In 1141, D. Afonso Henriques sold the Charter de Couto to the abbot of the Monastery for 150 morabitinos. In 1560, it is annexed to the Convent of S. Domingos [...]
António Alves Redol was born in Vila Franca de Xira on December 29, 1911. Alves Redol began to publish his texts long before publishing books, having published, for the first time, with only fifteen years, an article in the newspaper Vida Ribatejana, [...]
The Teixeira Pelourinho, located in Teixeira parish, marks the autonomy of this former county, which was granted by D. Manuel on July 17, 1514, and was extinguished in 1836. It stands on four steps, presenting a base of square section and cylindrical, smooth, with a middle ring. It ends in a capital [...]
Picked in the Montemuro mountains (Resende, Cinfães and Castro Daire) it is in S. João do Castelo in Frende (county of Baião) that the broom baskets are made. The different sizes and shapes also allow for different uses: both domestic and decorative.